Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Still Innocent?

"Do you think your character will change?" Mei Ling asked me at the end of SSP while we were packing up. I was taken aback by her question and asked her what she meant. "Maybe not since I've not changed much the past few years." I replied.
"Because I saw that you were quite smart just now. I'm afraid that you'll become bad. Smart people usually become bad." She told me. Then she left with Si Yuan to catch the shuttle bus out to the MRT while Huey Ying waited for me to walk out to the parade square to wait for our parents.
That night, I stayed up late thinking about this question. It was a simple yes or no question yet it made me think hard about an answer for I am sure there is no definite right or wrong to my answer. What I think might not happen might happen. Who knows? Who knows what I'll be doing in 10 years time? Who knows what if my friends and I will remain as friends forever just like how clase we are now, laughing, joking, chatting and me trying to be sarcastic.
For now, I'll tell you that I will not change. I guess I will not change and hopefully I do not change much, maybe just change and become a better person. My reason is simple for I am not a person easily influenced. I do not believe what anyone says unless it is reliable, credible, just like a history source. I know clearly I have not changed much over the years though my classmates have for they who used to be someone I know seem like a stranger today. I no longer know what type of person they are. The classmates I know when I first met are so much different. From a young and innocent child, they have succumbed to peer presure, changed their habbits, not being themselves, pretending to be someone they are not just to gain acceptence. To me, I feel that there is no need for these. I just want to be myself and I want people to accept me for who I am and not accept me because I am just like them. It feels pathetic to be like that.
I have grown alot. My thinkings have changed. I'm probably not as childish as before. In the past 4-5 years, I've seen quite a bit of the world. I have probably experienced more than some of my friends have. I am no longer innocent...

No comments:

Post a Comment